Sunday, October 2, 2011

First Days in Russia



The Adventure Begins!  



Meeting the vice rector (left) with Marina (right)


After almost two days of travel with a nine hour layover in the Moscow airport, I arrived in Orsk, Russia, at 2:00 in the morning on Friday, September 30th.  The head of the Institute's English department, Marina, and her husband were there to welcome me, and move me into my room at the student dispensary.  What is a student dispensary, you wonder?  So did I.  I thought it was going to be a student dormitory.  It is far from it.  The dispensary is actually a facility where students can live while they are being treated for minor medical problems, and it also has guest rooms for special guests.  I am in one of the guest rooms, and it more like being in a hotel than a dorm.  My room is not huge, but it has a comfortable bed, a stuffed arm chair, a private bath, refrigerator, a radiator heater, and a 13" color TV with rabbit ears.  The only thing I've noticed missing so far is a laundry facility, so I'll be washing my clothes in the sink and drying them on the radiator - a very workable solution.
NOT cafeteria food!  Yum!!

After just three and a half hours of sleep, I got up at 7:00 to begin a full first day.  I met the director of the dispensary and had breakfast (the dispensary has a marvelous dining hall with wonderful food).  Then it was off to the Institute with Marina for morning meetings with the rector, two vice rectors, and a dean.  In the afternoon, I was a special guest at a meeting of the English Speaking Club ABC, where about 50 students all wanted to take their photos with me!


The English Speaking Club ABC










 From 4-6pm I sat in on a tutoring session with two gifted high school students after which I had a wonderful dinner of carrot salad, salmon, and mashed potatoes.  I crashed in bed by 8:30 and slept through the night.  
Taking photos with the "native speaker"





















On Saturday, another Professor, Denis, spent the afternoon taking me on a walking tour of the city and helped me take care of all of the practical details, like getting set up with Internet access, a cell phone, and laundry detergent!

This weekend, I'm beginning to prepare lessons and presentations for several upcoming special events.  
Starting tomorrow, I'll be guest teaching in two different classes each day so that by the end of my stay, all of the English students will have had interactions with me.  I've also been asked to write a paper for a conference, give a presentation to the Institute's professors on the American education system, and prepare a three hour workshop for high school English teachers.  As you can imagine, I'm not sitting around bored!

Thanks to all of you who were keeping your fingers crossed that I would get a good Internet connection.  With the help of my new friends, I was able to get a USB modem set up that gives me Internet access anywhere I take my laptop!




This blog expresses my personal views.  It is not an official web site of the Department of State nor does it represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Steve! This must be quite a rewarding experience for you and I thank you for creating this blog. As a developmental reading professor, I want my students to understand and analyze the importance on the acceptance of culture and how it impacts our society by exposing them through various forms of literature,for example,the novel, Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich. Steven, if you don't mind, I would love to share your experience your blog with my students as an example of accepting culture and the impact it will have within our society. Claudine Bentham (West Campus)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of fun and good food. I am jealous. I hope you can take advantage of the new tech, I assume the stuff arrived. Take lots of pictures and share. What an amazing opportunity! Congrats

    James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claudine, Please feel free to share the blog with your students! I'm glad that it is something you find useful.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Steven!

    Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have the best tan in that group picture lol

    ReplyDelete